Tuesday 24 June 2008

Saturday – galerna!!

According to one of those language dictionaries one finds on the web, there is no word for galerna in English and it is a “violent north-west wind that blows on the North coast of Spain”. That is not entirely true, as not any violent north-west wind is a galerna. The thing that makes the galerna so phenomenal is the fact that it is so sudden, so violent and it always occurs after an intense day of extremely high temperatures. And so it was on Saturday; it was so hot that I didn’t have the strength to leave home for very long… until a change in the air mid afternoon warned me that a galerna was on its way. We drove to Guéthary and, in a matter of minutes, we had the galerna on us. Check out the dark shade in the horizon coming our way:



So yes, I missed the Cosmic Children (due to the extreme heat and the impossibility to leave our puppy anywhere but at home with me), but we had a nice little swell on Thursday & Friday. I must say, though, that I didn’t get to enjoy this swell so much as I would have wanted because of some social commitments… or rather the consequences of those commitments; but more about that in my next entry with the review of the best waves of these last few days.

Over & out.

No comments: