Tuesday 4 November 2008

A new age

Well, where do I start? Ok, as you might have guessed we came back from Bali a couple of weeks ago but because of work, commitments and some changes in our lives (more on that later) I’ve been extra busy, hence my absence (my other blog hasn’t been so inactive). Bali was great: my wife, who had never been there, enjoyed herself lots surfing small Kuta Reef and learning first hand why surfing a reef is so much better than a beachbreak (looooooooooooong peeling rides). On my side I had more time than during my previous visits to see and experience Bali (the two previous times Bali had just been a launching platform to other nearby destinations) and, thanks to some friends I managed to score some semi-secret waves in places I had never thought they could get swell. On top of that we had a great time, we ate plenty of healthy food, we didn’t get too sunburnt and, apart from a bruised rib that kept me off the water the last few days, we managed to come back home in one piece.

And once back at home the big –bad- news: the company I’m working for is not doing that great and they decided to cut the mkt budget so much that they only need me half time. I’m not going to go here into whether this is the right decision to solve the company’s problems or not (it will help in the short term but will make things really worse in the mid/long term), but the fact is that for the last two and half weeks –and for the first time since I left Uni- I’m not a 9 to 5er.

The immediate consequence of this is that my salary has been cut in half and that we need to get another source of income. But also that –weather and waves permitting- I will be able to surf pretty much every day… even during the short winter days. Hooray!!

The extra time -and the need for some extra income- is giving me the opportunity to try out a few projects I had in my head but, due to laziness and/or lack of time, I had never managed to get myself into. And one of them is writing. So with this in mind I’m giving it a go at the chance to write and have some stuff published one day. In the short term I will increase my collaborations with the usual surf mags (mainly 3sesenta, the oldest Spanish surfing mag). Although my first post-Bali collaboration has come out today in the free surf journal Surf Time, where I’ve written a short piece on the current state of the WQS circuit.

On the other hand I will slightly change the focus of this blog. Until now It's mainly been about the waves of the Bay of Biscay as seen by other bloggers, most of them great amateur photographers. I think I’ve made my point and all you have seen that there’s much more than Hossegor and Mundaka; from now I’ll give this blog a more personal touch. Let’s see how it goes.

I hope that the -very- few of you who have followed me until here will keep on bearing with me.

3 comments:

KingMatt said...

In the ''Lost Country'' (you know this where), the life it's very much economic, calm , and solitary.
The only matter it's the rain, and the cold water's.
Call Dani for a new work, in the freeze paradise.

You'll be wellcome.

Un Abrazo.
Sorry por la jerga.

Kirk said...

Glad you're back on it, good luck with the new work situation. It can be hard doing part time/freelance setup but it can work and the potential free time deal is great.

Niegà said...

Thanks to both. I'm really looking fwd to this freelance thing. Let's see how it goes.

Cheers!

Niegà